Saturday, September 20, 2014

French Onion Soup

With fall arriving early this year my family and I had a hankering for soup. They love French Onion and I wanted a recipe that would taste as good as a restaurant's. So the search began.

I found a delicious recipe from Allrecipes.comI love that it can be made in the slow cooker too.

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
 4 large yellow onions, sliced and separated into rings
 1 bay leaf
 1 tablespoon white sugar
 8 slices of french bread
 2 cloves garlic, minced
 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup cooking sherry
 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
 7 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste

 Directions:
 1. Heat butter in large pot over medium-high. Cook and stir onions until they become translucent, about 10 min. Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium. Cook stirring constantly, until onions are soft and browned, at least 30 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute.

 2. Stir in sherry (I didn't have sherry and used red cooking wine as a substitute) into onion mixture and scrape bottom of pot to dissolve small bits of browned food from the pot. Transfer onions into a slow cooker and pour in beef broth. Season to taste with salt, stir in thyme and bay leaf. Cover cooker. Set on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.

 3. About 10 min. before serving, set oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source and preheat oven't broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.

 4. Broil bread slices until toasted. 1-2 min. per side

 5. Combine cheeses in a bowl. Fill oven-safe soup crocks 3/4 full with soup and float bread slice on top. Top with cheese mixture.

 6. Place filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling. About 2 minutes.


My family really enjoyed this recipe and it truly was a comfort food! 

4 comments:

Regina said...

You made me so hungry for my favorite soup. Now it's on my list of meals to have soon. Thank you for getting me in the mood for Fall. It's still hot in Calif. Have a great day!

She's A Busy Girl said...

Oh French Onion is my absolute favorite! The weather can't make up its mind here in Wyoming these days but I can certainly eat good French Onion soap any day of the year ~ thanks so much for sharing!

Greg Prosmushkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I_Fortuna said...

Instead of cooking sherry, I always use a drinking cream sherry, cognac or amagnac. I think you will like the difference. Great recipe. Thanks.