Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Birthday!

My hubby's birthday was yesterday and I wanted to make his birthday a bit special. I made a card for him, which thankfully, he is very understanding for my obsession with glitter! The card was a bit more girly than I had intended, but he was a good sport about it! I created it with the Fast Food cartridge, did a lot of layering, and used glossy accents and star shaped glitter. The round card came from the Campin' Critters Cartridge.  

The sticker in the center is by SRM. : )

He loves Chicken Picatta, so I made him that for dinner along with sparkling almond wine from Cooper's Hawk.  I also made him a cake from scratch, a root beer Bundt cake.  Which is pretty unusual for me. I am not a baker.  I am the gal who usually runs to the store or bakery for my cakes......but he was worth trying my hand at baking once again.....thankfully the cake turned out!  And I was a bit proud of my effort!
It was delicious! It was a moist chocolate cake with just a hint of the root beer flavor.  I am not a big cake eater, nor do I like frosting much, so this cake was right up my alley....and thankfully, his too! 

Root Beer Bundt Cake
Food Network

1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
2 cups all-purpose flower, plus more for dusting
2 1/2 cups root beer
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt, plus a pinch
3 large eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 325. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan, tap out excess flour.
2. Heat 2 cups root beer, the cocoa powder, chocolate and 1 stick butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts.  Add the granulated and brown sugars and whisk until dissolved.  Remove from the heat and let cool. 
3. Combine 2 cups flour, the baking soda, allspice and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Whisk the eggs into the root beer  mixture, then gently fold in the dry ingredients. (The batter will be slightly lumpy).
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer to a rack. Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup root beer over the cake; let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate and let cool completely. 
5. Meanwhile make the glaze: Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup root beer, a pinch of salt, the confectioner's sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cake. 
***********************************************************
I do have a few more Father's Day projects to share with you....so be sure to check this weekend for a couple of more posts! Have a wonderful Friday!!


10 comments:

Sis Patterson said...

It's a terrific birthday card - love the star glitter and all of the layers! And of course, the patterned papers! Looks like a great cake too - thanks for sharing the recipe.

Susan said...

Love that you had glitter on your card and served "sparkling" wine. Sparkles everywhere! Love your card and thanks for making SRM's Fancy Sticker look so good!

Jingle said...

Totally fun and sparkly card! And that cake looks yummy!

Sonya said...

Sounds like a fun day...that cake looks yummy!

Lezlye said...

Michelle, Your card is terrific as usual, and that cake looks yummy! I may have to try it!

Riet said...

What a gorgeous card Michele.

Hugs Riet.xx

Rea' said...

I think it's great! Cake looks delicious!

Noel said...

Great birthday card and yummy bunt cake recipe....I'm a bunt cake girl and this is perfect for my home bible study group...TFS and happy belated birthday wishes for hubby!! hugs Noel

Vicki Dutcher said...

What a beautiful card. Your photo of your cards are fabulous! popping in with "Help out" Cath from Moxie Fab~] :)

EllenaElizabeth said...

I'm sorry but I have to say it...that's one pretty card. I love it! And I'm sure your hubby did too glitter and all. I love your work Michele. Thanks for sharing.