Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kids are so much fun aren't they?

First, a quick post about this card. I made it for Kyle's kid party. He is turning 11 in a couple of weeks and his request was to have a birthday sleep over with a few close friends. He informed me that it would be a "crazy, gaming party!" So what says games better than a Quickutz die game controller. Sort of looks like the Playstation controller. I cut it several times with grey, red, and orange and pieced it together. I outlined it with my thin black Copic marker. I used Karen Foster's Snap Stamps for the sentiment. I also used my Spellbinders circles for under the game controller. I wanted to keep this simple since it IS for boys! I think the rest is pretty self explanatory!

On to my kid story. My son had swim last night. He has always worn ear plugs because he had tubes twice. He is so paranoid about getting water in his ears! So he comes home from swim and tells me that it feels like there is something in his ear......I take a flashlight and peer in. What do I see? Fluorescent orange in his ear canal! Part of the ear plug was stuck in there! (You know the kind that come in bright colors and are very squishy? Those are the ones I am talking about.) So anyway, I call my sister the nurse, and she says, " I don't know how they are gonna get that out of there!" Gee thanks, that's encouraging! He didn't seem to be in any pain, so we waited until today to go to the doctor. Being the kind mother I am, I sent him to school. (I did write his teacher a note, in case his ear started hurting!) So anywhoo, we went, the doc seemed a bit perplexed and asked, "How does one get an earplug stuck in his ear?' He struggled to get it out because of the squishiness.....I was getting concerned. I actually was having wild thoughts....like what if this kid needs surgical removal of this earplug? What if the doc pokes out his eardrum and he becomes deaf? Needless to say, he DID get it out. The bad news was that since we waited the entire day, he has Swimmer's Ear. OK, so I don't get the Mother of the Year Award.......

14 comments:

Becky G said...

Michele, first the card is fantastic! Love the mini controller. Second, sorry to hear about the earplug incident. I'm so glad that the Dr. was able to get it out without major surgery! Someday you will look back on this and laugh!

Lorie said...

What a great card...my boys would love it too! You are just like every other mom out there so don't even think twice about it! I mean, really, what other mom would make cool invites like that one?

Jami Speidel said...

That definitely looks like a PS controller! I should get that die to make cards for my DH. We got a PS3 before Christmas and he has since become an almost permanent fixture on our couch!!! Great card and story! TFS!!!

Alison Gibbs said...

What a fabulous card.
Well i think you still are Mother of the Year - I mean you had to make sure he was still getting a decent education.
Alison

Anonymous said...

If grades were given for Motherhood I think you get an A++. (I have a very high grading scale BUT it allows for mistakes!)
Kyle now REALLY has something to dramatize...and he will. Is a get well card necessary?

Michelle said...

Oh, shoot, Michele, swimmers ear hurts sooooo bad. I hope he can dry up quickly. If you want to feel better, my bad mom award, and I have several, was when my son had poison ivy that turned to cellulitis and the school had to call me to tell me that I really needed to take him to the doctor. He'd had poison ivy every year of his life, so I didn't think anything of it, but apparently...

We all make judgment calls. You aren't a terrible mom. And htat card is WAYYYY too cool.

Amy said...

I looove that card...so lifting that idea!! especially since I have 12 and 9 year old boys who would think I was sooo cool...LOL so glad they got the plug out, mine put a bead in his ear once...

Marlou McAlees said...

awwww Michelle the poor kid, I hope he is ok now!!! that must have been awful for him :( I know the earplugs , i wear them cause my husband snores{lol} bright orange {really cool} even had them on honey moon with me {how romantic , lol}
Your card is excellent, love the game console, have a great day xx

sophia landry said...

It's amazing the things that get stuck in kids. Cheerios in the nose, earplugs in the ear. So glad they could get that one out!! Love the card by the way! That little controller is so cute, and Its Perfect for a game themed party!

Dina said...

Oh, that is so fun! My boys would dig that.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's some invite, so involved for a few boys, hope their moms appreciate it!
We had a sweet tart up the nose once...WAY up there...and there is nothing like a call to the doc and trying to explain why your kid put it up there to begin with! And didn't I ever tell you about the Lego swallowing incident when he was 8?
I may have to post that one to the 'ol blog.

joslyn said...

wow scarrrrry. glad he got it out of his ear. very cute card.

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Oh Michele... hugs! I hope his ear clears up quickly. Poor guy.

Great card though!

:-)

Crafty Connie said...

What a great invite for the party.

Kids bounce back, before you know it the story of getting his ear plug stuck will be the highlight of the story and not that he got swimmer's ear.